In 2009 The Lancet stated that ‘Climate change is the biggest global health threat of the 21st century. In 2018 a report of Lancet Countdown said that ‘a lack of progress in reducing carbon emissions threatens human lives with the potential to disrupt core public health infrastructure and overwhelm health services’. Two DHBs in New Zealand have undertaken CEMARS accreditation and shown that combined air travel is one of the largest contributors to DHB carbon emissions, particularly business class air travel.
The congress organisers feel that we have a responsibility to reduce carbon emissions produced from this event and would appreciate support from the attendees to do this in the following ways:
- choose to carbon offset flights, accommodation and local travel when booking flights
- bring your own bag, water bottle and coffee cup
- recycle and reuse whenever possible
- avoid single use plastic and try to be paperless
- enjoy our meat free day at the congress
- bring unused/extra toiletries from hotels to the congress to be donated to Orange Sky